DESCRIPTION OF A LOCAL CHURCH
This article provides a collection of Bible references dealing with the basic attitude and activities which are present in a local church that is functioning as described in Ephesians 4:11-16.
INTERACTION WITHIN THE CONGREGATION
Attitudes in the Local Church
- Love for one another: Rom. 13:8; 1 Thess. 3:11,12; 4:9,10; 2 Thess. 1:3; 1 Peter 1:22.
- Forbearance or relaxed tolerance toward others: Eph. 4:2; Col. 3:13.
- Acceptance or willingness to receive others into assembly: Rom. 15:7.
- An attitude which is neither judgmental or con-demning: Rom. 14:13; 1 Cor. 4:5; James 4:11,12
- Willingness to subordinate one’s own desires to the needs and interests of others: Phil. 2:3,4; 1 Pet. 5:5,6; Rom. 12:10.
- Genuine devotion toward one another as Fam-ily of God: Rom. 12:10.
- Harmony or rapport that transcends social bar-riers: Rom. 12:16-18; 14:19; James 2:1-4.
- Priority of unity within the congregations: Eph. 4:3,13; Col. 3:14.
- Forgiveness: Eph. 4:32.
- Encouraging one another: Heb. 3:12,13; 10:24; 1 Thess. 5:11; Rom. 15:4,5.
Activities in the Local Church
- Edifying one another: Eph. 4:29; 1 Thess. 5:11; Rom. 14:18-20; 15:1,2.
- Serving one another: Gal. 5:13.
- Being kind to one another: Eph. 4:32; 1 Peter 3:8,9.
- Showing hospitality: 1 Peter 4:9; 3 John 5-8.
- Partaking of the Communion: 1 Cor. 11:17-34; Acts 2:42-46.
- Admonishing one another: Rom. 15:14; 1 Cor. 4:14; 1 Thess. 5:14.
- Restoring carnal believers: Gal. 6:1.
- Praying for one another: James 5:16.
The Local Church’s Function as a Community of Believers
- Our relationship with God is described in fam-ily terms: Gal. 3:26; John 1:12,13.
- Christians are commanded to have a family-like devotion to one another: Rom. 12:10.
- The local church is called the household of God: 1 Tim. 3:15.
- Paul recommends to Timothy how to relate to others in the congregation: 1 Tim. 5:1,2
- Leadership qualifications include how well a man fulfills his family responsibilities: 1 Tim. 3:4,5,12.
- A woman’s role in the local church is described in the same terms as her role in the family: 1 Tim. 2:11-13; 1 Cor. 14:34-35.
Grace Notes is a ministry of Austin Bible Church, Austin, Texas http://www.austinbiblechurch.com
For an index of topics, or information about regu-lar Bible studies, write to:
Louis Roth Grace Notes PO Box 515, Texas 78642
There is no charge for Grace Notes materials. The work is supported by Christians who pray for the ministry and share in the expenses.